Monday, September 23, 2013

My View on Service.

“Service.” There are many different definitions for this word but they all tie into one thing, and that is doing something to help somebody else or doing something in general. Community service is when you do something for the community to make it a better place. Servicing somebody is when you help somebody. With all that being said I'm the type of person who believes that service of any type is good but to me my favorite would have to be animal service. I have the biggest soft side for animals especially cats and dogs. When I did the volunteer match and animal one came up and it said to adopt these animals, and I really wish I could just adopt them all I feel so bad for animals who need homes. For community service week I cleaned up my grandfathers yard as well as three of his neighbors because they are all old. And by clean up I mean mow the lawn, weed whack, trim the hedges, you name it, I did it. And I did it all for free. My part in this week goes perfect with community service week because I didn’t have to clean 4 yards that day, I was going to just do my grandfathers and then the neighbors kept asking me and I couldn’t say no to them so I did theirs too and I refused payment to because I don’t like taking peoples money. One place I see a need and I think a lot of commuters will agree with me on this. I think that we need a trash pick up day for southern itself. I was walking down to the gas station the other day and I was looking on the ground near Neff hall and the parking garage and I saw cigarette butts everywhere and I saw empty beer cans all throughout campus and normally I wouldn’t care what people do with their trash but this is where I live. I don’t want to be walking around in a nasty pile of cigarette butts and beer cans. What really got me angry was the fact that there were big dumpsters literally 3 seconds away from the cans. I think the impact we could have on people by going down to New Haven and cleaning the neighborhood’s up is, people would see how nice the place they live in looks when its clean, so they will either stop littering or they will clean up after other people who don’t get it yet. I also think that if this community service thing was mandatory, everybody who liters on campus would see how actually good they got it here, and how they shouldn’t dirty the place up because this place represents them. If we had prospect freshman for next year coming down here to see the school right now we would be screwed. I would never come here if I saw what I already seen here. It’s disgusting. I think if they go down to the community service project then they will think twice about littering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment